CogSci 2018: Madison
July 25 – July 28th, 2018
Call for Student Volunteers
CogSci 2018 July 25th – 28th, 2018 Madison, Wisconsin
A great deal of the success of the Cognitive Science Society’s annual conference depends on dedicated student volunteers (SVs). The real benefit to students is the excellent chance to meet and interact with other cognitive scientists. In addition to the intellectual stimulation intrinsic to the conference experience, student volunteers will receive an excellent package of benefits that includes:
- Complimentary conference registration
- Complimentary lodging for non-local SVs (shared with another SV of the same gender)
- Meal vouchers
Travel funds for SVs cannot be provided. Only full-time undergraduate and graduate students who are CSS members are eligible for these positions.
This is IMPORTANT: SVs must be willing to work about 20 hours during the conference. You must also be available for a training meeting at the conference center during the afternoon and early evening of July 24th (plan to arrive at the hotel by midday) and through all daily conference hours through the evening of July 28th. If you cannot commit to this time frame and this level of work, please do not take a slot away from another willing student. Also, we would recommend that if you plan to come to the conference, you book a hotel room as a backup. There are limited SV slots available and you should not wait for the selection notification to do that. If you are selected to be an SV, you can cancel your hotel reservation later.
We will give priority to those that have an accepted paper / poster presentation. We will also take geographic distance from the conference into consideration as well as diversity in area of research.
If you are interested in applying to be a student volunteer, send an e-mail with the subject line “Student Volunteer CogSci 2018” to email@example.com
In your email, please provide answers to the questions below.
Please apply by May 14, 2018. Selected applicants will be notified by May 28, 2018.
- What is your first and last name?
- What university or college are you currently attending?
- What city, state/region, and country is it in?
- Which program and year are you? (e.g., 2nd year PhD candidate in Cognitive Science)
- Are you a full time student?
- Which other languages, if any, do you speak fluently?
- What is your gender? (Gender information will be used only for room assignments)
- Have you served as a student volunteer before? If so, when?
- Do you have a paper or poster presentation accepted this year? If so please provide the submission title.
- Do you have a smartphone, or any means to regularly check email, that you are willing to bring and use at the conference? What is your mobile phone number?
- What is your anticipated departure day (Saturday evening or Sunday)?
- What is your t-shirt size (unisex)?
Student Volunteer Chair